Subject: Re: Lighting ratios
From: [email-masked] (Robert Cohen)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:50:27 -0800

>On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Andrew Hofman wrote:

>> "Many people will say that lighting ratios in video should be kept as low
>> as
>> 3:1 or even 2:1. When a group of professional film and television directors
>> and producers in Hollywood were asked to specify their own preferences as
>> to picture quality with an actual demonstration, they preferred a picture
>> lit with a 6:1 ratio and were greatly surprised to discover this."
>>
>> Andy Hofman

>               What does "Lightting Ratios" refer to?

Lighting Ratios refer to the difference in light intesity between your key(s)
light and your ambient light.  A ratios of 2:1 means that your key light is
twice as bright as your fill.  In the real world, distance of your light plays
into the equation.  For every time you double your distance, you quarter your
"apparent" intensity (light reflected off the subject), but in Lightwave,
falloff would control that variable.

 _ __                         __
' )  )     /         _/_     /  )     /
 /--' ____/____  __  /      /    ____/_  _  __   Lightwave Animator
/  \_(_) /_) (<_/ (_(__    (__/ (_) / /_(<_/) )  [email-masked]